You may need to generate reports for data associated with Invoice totals rather than Sales Order totals. This is especially helpful when calculating sales commissions for your sales teams based on Invoiced Sales.
You can run Invoice Reports by selecting from the 'Sales' tab within the Intelligence section. Click on Invoice Breakdown.
The main difference is your reports will be calculated based on Invoice and Payment totals as opposed to Order totals.
Similar to Sales Order Reports, you can select the date presets as per your liking. You can either manually select the date range or use one of the preset date ranges using the For Invoices Issued drop-down menu.
After generating the report, you will see all the client invoices that match the filters you selected. You can filter all your Invoice Reports by Assignee, Channel, Customer, Customer Tags, Customer Type, Location, Order Tags, Total Discount, Total Sales, Total Tax, Product, Product Brand, Product Tags, Product Type, Quantity, Shipping Country, Shipping State, Supplier, Total Sales, and Variant.
With Invoice Reports, only the following metrics can be selected and displayed using the Show Me drop-down menu:
- Quantity - The total number of items sold (excludes custom line and returned items)
- Gross Amount Invoiced - the full amount of a purchase, sometimes before any discounts or sales taxes.
- Tax - The sum of the tax on each item in the order
- Discount - The discount applied to line items or the whole order
- Shipping - The cost of shipping excluding taxes
- Net Amount Invoiced - the total amount billed to Customers per shipment, without transportation charges and discount. Everything is itemized.
You may notice that some of the metrics available within Sales Order reports are not available for use within Sales Invoice reports. This is because the data metrics used on Sales Order Reports are associated with Order values, not Invoices.
The following sales order metrics are not compatible with sales invoice reporting.
- COGs - Cost of Goods Sold calculations are dependent on the Moving Average Cost (MAC) for each variant within a Sales Order. A sales order COGs value is generated when the order is fulfilled. As invoice data is not dependant on the fulfillment status of an order, the COGs metric is not compatible with invoice-based reporting.
- Realized and potential profit - Because we don't have COGs, we cannot calculate the profit.
- Potential tax - We don't have a potential tax because we cannot tie payment to a specific invoice line item. Payments are linked to a whole invoice.
- Potential discount - We don't have a potential discount because we cannot tie payment to a specific invoice line item. Payments are linked to a whole invoice.
To finalize and generate the report, continue as you would with the regular sales reports by clicking on Apply or Apply Filters and then Run Report.